We hope you had an absolutely awesome end to 2018.
And with that, we turn our attention to the burning question of, ‘How should I start off 2019?’
Not to worry, there is plenty to do in and around Jax this January to start you off on the right foot! Per usual, #FrayLife has coverage of the best things to do in the city so you can make fun possible all month long.
Here are our top picks this month, what are yours?? Don’t tell us, SHOW us by tagging your 2019 adventures with #FrayLife #JaxFray on social.
Tuesday, January 1
– As Wicked Barley is so pleasantly putting it, cure the New Year’s Day hangover with a delectable brunch! Starting at 11 am, the magic begins with $12 bottomless mimosas and amazing food choices. Come on out for the fun!
Wednesday, January 2
– We are waiting for Winter Leagues to start and we have the heard the weather is supposed to be nice this day, so let’s play some sand volleyball! Join JAX Fray to play some co-ed, 6v6 sand volleyball at South Beach Park in Jax Beach. Make a friend, get some exercise, and sip on a brewski.
Thursday & Friday, January 3 & 4
– Come aboard the Lights Boat Tour and feast your eyes on some of the most magical, beautiful holiday lighting displays in St. Augustine! Based on a tradition of a flickering white candle people would place in their window, now St. Aug is flooded with millions of white lights that illuminate the city. All aboard!
Saturday, January 5
– We love to support our ospreys, especially when basketball season rolls around. The UNF basketball teams play host to North Alabama with the women’s team at 1 pm, while the men tip-off at 5 p.m. You can even get a special ticket package for $15 with extra perks.
Monday, January 7 – All Abilities Night at iFLY
– For those that have dreamed of flying in the special needs community, dream no more! The All Abilities Night program at iFLY has been designed for those with physical and cognitive challenges to create an environment of support and inclusion. Event package includes a pre-flight training session and all the necessary flight gear. If you, or someone you know, is interested, come check it out!
Tuesday, January 8
– WWE Smackdown is coming to put the smackdown on Jacksonville. Come out to watch a lot of big names wrestle each other while entertaining the crowd. Tickets are as low as $40 so hop on it, folks!
Wednesday, January 9
– Tired of swiping for a date? Come to Jax Fray Speed Dating at The Wine Bar and ditch the dating apps in favor of talking to people irl. You may or may not walk away with the love of your life, but either way you’ll have fun meeting new people and enjoying drink specials.
– Surfer is coming in clutch with a new weekly party – Whiskey Beach! With country music filling the air and Jack Daniels flowing like water, come out at 9 pm every Wednesday for this wonderous festivity.
Thursday, January 10
– For anyone contemplating the Ill Points festival in Miami this February, get ready because they are coming to Jacksonville! Showcasing some of the homegrown talent featured from the III Points festival lineup, come out to get a taste of this festival as well as some limited-edition merch and a chance to win some III Points tickets.
Friday, January 11
– With current and former members of Newsboys United ready to take the Winter Jam stage, come check out the iconic Christian band’s biggest hits from their three-decade career. It is a ticketless event; merely, a $15 donation at the door! Come on guys, 7 pm is early enough to go to this and still hit the bars after.
Saturday, January 12
– Anyone searching for a new home close to the beach? Or trying to convince your parents to move to Jacksonville and do that? Join the Nocatee community in celebrating The Colony at Twenty Mile from 11am-2pm! There will be builders on site, food trucks, builder giveaways, a mobile gaming truck, and even more entertainment.
Sunday, January 13
– For anyone really into anime, don’t miss Jacksonville’s Anime Day at Embassy Suites with fun events and ANIME ALL DAY LONG. Admission is only $5 for… (drum roll, please)…a costume contest, the dealer’s marketplace, a video room, and prize giveaways. PLUS free parking!
Monday, January 14
– We all know that bingo is fun, but how much MORE fun is it when it’s for a good cause? At 7 pm at Hamburger Mary’s in Jax, get yourself a party squad and pay $10 to join in on the bingo fun. All proceeds are going to Jacksonville Alumnae Panhellenic Association.
Wednesday, January 16
– Starring Comedians Andrew Conn, Ginger Billy & Catfish Cooley, the Nitro Comedy Tour is prepared to rock your socks, or possibly make you laugh them off, with this high-energy, redneck performance at Comedy Zone in Jacksonville. Get yoself a ticket and get ready to laugh.
Thursday, January 17
– Do you need some help setting goals and sticking true to a vision? Come to this Define your Focus Workshop with Success Coach, Leila Ansart. Learn how to break up those big goals into manageable pieces with a hands-on, upbeat, music-filled workshop to plan your year! 6 pm at LionShare Cowork…be there or be a little less goal-specific.
Friday, January 18
– Who doesn’t want to throw some axes? (If you said you don’t, then I can’t help you…). At Autobahn Indoor Speedway, the party is getting LIT from 7-9pm if you and your friends come out to give it your best whirl at accurately throwing axes. There is even some beer so don’t get too drunk because you’re throwing a deadly object…
Saturday, January 19
– To celebrate all the love and support that Jacksonvillians have given Southern Swells (based on a true love for beer), they are throwing an Anniversary Party! There will be 8 new beer releases at 12 pm as well as live music. The 4 pm event at Mini Bar actually SOLD OUT. So you know this is about to be a good time. Not to fret, it goes on allllll dayyyy.
Sunday, January 20
– Party it up at Myth Nightclub for this DJ’s presentation of Space Jesus from 8 pm – 2 am. With a focus on gangster beats and future feels, the Spaceman imprints his signature sound upon everyone in the room! Get a ticket and get ready to dance.
Tuesday, January 22
– At Mellow Mushroom on Deer Lake Court, tear it up in some bingo from 7:30-9:30 pm with all your buddies. It’s always free to play, and you can win prizes! Plus, their pizza is amazing so you will inevitably get hungry and buy some and eat it and be happy.
Wednesday, January 23
So you haven’t met that special someone yet, huh? Don’t worry…Jacksonville has pretty of fine lads and hunnies. This Wednesday, from 7-10pm, come to Intuition Ale Works in your freshest attire to impress all your potential hot dates. Don’t forget to register and snag a spot.
Saturday, January 26
– Jacksonville Ultimate League is gathering up the gold (aka: your money) to help support youth leagues and education events all around Jacksonville. All you must do is come to Hyperion Brewing Company and buy alcoholic beverages! Sound easy enough? They have the whole bar and catered food, so come out for a good time at the 4th Annual Gala.
Sunday, January 27
– You’re a strong, independent woman who wants to ensure she can do it all herself! HELL YEA. The Women’s Defense Company is ready to help! Get tickets for their high-intensity signature course with a focus on reducing criminal encounters. All day on the 27th, be prepared to get tougher.
Tuesday, January 29
– We all feel a bit artsy fartsy, sometimes. The best place to take advantage of that feeling is at Hammer & Stain Studio in Atlantic Beach. From 6-8:30 pm, they are having their super fun Mosaic Night, where you have a TON of options to create! Get a ticket, bring some booze, and get crafting.
Thursday, January 31
– Want to learn how to cook a scrumptious meal? Either for yourself or to impress someone special? Seek no further than Jax Cooking Studio. They are offering a $40 cooking class WITH a three-course healthy lifestyle meal AND wine pairings. $10 from your ticket goes to supporting Jacksonville University students! Cook and feel good.
January is the time to start new hobbies and go on new adventures, and when you do, make sure to share the fun with us using #FrayLife #JaxFray.
Need some other ideas of fun things to do this month? Why not hit up local rock climbing for an indoor workout that’ll help you keep your fitness resolutions without wasting money on the gym.
View More Articles By Lexi Aughenbaugh